Thursday 10 September 2009

Just a little braggin'



Both Faith and Sawyer made student council this year. It is the first try for either of them. It is only for 3rd, 4th and 5th graders. They do things like take care of the recycling, work at the school store, make posters for various things and have meetings. To be honest, I don't like my kids to try out for anything because I don't want them to experience rejection. I know it isn't good because life is full of rejection but if I could ever keep my kids from experiencing it, I would. The kids both brought home applications. After they turn those in, they get chosen for an interview. I was just thrilled that both of them got interviews. There are a couple of teachers at the their school that oversee student council and I wanted to email them and ask them to either take both of the kids or neither, but I didn't. But, they both made it and I am so happy for them and they were happy for themselves. I think this will especially good for Sawyer-to have some leadership type experiences and some other responsibilities. We had to help him A LOT with his application but he must have done well in his interview.

I think I posted in my last entry about all of Sawyer's homework!! He has nightly homework which isn't a big deal but he has 3 to 4 tests every Friday to prepare for. The most stressful are his 15 spelling words that he has to write in dictation sentences. Writing, grammar and punctuation aren't Sawyer's strong points in school. He does a pre-test so we know what they will be and it takes us all week to "perfect" them. He also has a math test, language reading test and sometimes a reading comprehension test from a story they have done earlier in the week. He has brought home two C's and has been very upset and has cried. I have to admit that I am happy that he cares. This is the first year for letter grades so it is taking some time to get used to it for him (and me). Anyways, his spelling test from last week he got an A+ on both the sentence part and spelling part. He (and I) were so happy. The spelling words have been easy for him so far, it is just getting those sentences right. I am hoping we will find a good "groove" in these next couple of weeks.

7 comments:

Wendi said...

I just have to say that I LOVE that you post details of your kids homework and schoolwork. Especially since Drew is expreiencing similar work. He brought home a 58% on a math quiz and I about died! Fortunately his teacher allows them to correct their work and receive partial credit... so he fixed it and his grade changed to a 90%, thank goodness! I was just telling Jeff last night that I never remember having this much homework or parental concern over my grades when I was growing up, but I also didn't learn good study habits until college (too late for most folks). So while it's a lot of work for us as mom's to ensure our kids are studying and comprehending their work, I truly believe that in the long run it will make them better students and hopefully set them up to achieve great things in life.

BTW- Tell them both congratulations on making student council! What an awesome experience that will be for them! It makes me wonder what grade they allow kids to join student council at our school?

Love your posts!!

The Shoes said...

Congratulations to Faith and Sawyer. Do you help him with all of the homework or is that Kyle's job? I can't imagine having to get all of that done each evening. Give the kids a break! I remember Holli always saying, "The teachers have my kid for 8 hrs a day, let me have them when they get home and let them be a kid." Something like that..right Hol? I'm not looking forward to those days/nights! Can't wait to see your family soon!

Holli said...

Congrats to your kids and for you stepping back and letting them succeed! IT IS SO HARD BEING A MOM! and so rewarding too.
also will be praying for Sawyer! grammar and spelling STINK!;) as you can tell from my blog - didn't study real hard!:)
I told Andy the other night - NO ONE told me when I had kids it would be like I am going back to school too! haha- looks like I will be in school for the REST of my life!

corn fed girl said...

Congrats to the new inductees! I'm very happy for you that they both got it...oh yeah, I'm happy for them too. I love the picture of Sawyer...he's trying so hard not to let his head explode w/ pride!

Shelly said...

ooooohhh, Stace.... i'm not looking forward to 3rd grade now! Although, Grayson is really close to Sawyer's schedule this year. He has two tests every friday. His spelling words this week were "election, governor, mayor, president, etc" REALLY hard words for a 2nd grader. :(

Kellybee said...

I can comisserate with you on the homework...James has been doing on average an hour and a half of homework everynight. By the time I get done helping him, it's time to make dinner and play time is over! I feel so bad for him. I don't remember having this much homework in 2nd grade, but I suppose he is learning alot. Tell your kids "Way to go!" for us on making student council. That is really cool!

Amy said...

Congratulations to Faith and Sawyer! Brett has to study for various tests throughout the week -- but WOW, 3 or 4 every Friday would be horrendous. They really need to spread it out throughout the week as it does make it a bit easier. As of right now, I'm good with helping Brett with homework...but have a feeling once his math gets a bit harder in junior high, I'll have to leave the homework help to Mike. ;o)