Monday 18 October 2010

Just had to share....


I loathe school fundraisers. I am happy to donate to most causes and if someone is selling something really good (like girl scout cookies or boy scout chocolate covered caramel corn) then I am there!! My kids school pushes magazine sales like crazy every year. You can opt out and do their no-hassle fundraiser for $25 per family. I choose this every single year but the school continues to torture my children by offering prizes to kids that choose to sell magazines and they actually shed real tears when I won't let them sell the magazines. Anyways...Faith was selling cheese, sausage, cookie dough and other stuff for band. If she sold 10 items over the weekend then she received the giant candy bar you see on the right. If she sold 15 items total then she also received the 5 lb. bag of gummy bears on the left. She managed to sell exactly 15 items. I have to admit the chocolate is good and the gummy bears are very soft and yummy as well. What you see in the center is the cheese and sausage duo that was bought by my very sweet neighbors and my parents for $17.50 (which I am embarrassed to have Faith deliver to them). I thought it was going to be large...nope. If I was either one of them I would choose the huge candy bar or 5 lb. bag of gummy bears for $17.50 over the tiny cheese and sausage duo. I just found it all slightly amusing...but mostly ridiculous. One of the other jr. high bands in town was selling food too but they had the option of selling 15 items or donating $35. That is a better idea. I would rather donate $5-$10 than get the tiny cheese and sausage duo. Okay... I am done.

5 comments:

Mary said...

I totally agree with you and have even written a note to the school telling them I disagree with the fund raisers they do for philosophical reasons -- those companies are making KIDS sell the crap they would never be able to sell otherwise! I should write a blog post about it sometime!

Jeff, Tina, Ian, and Jade Saad said...

Eat your gummy bears and be quiet:)...after working at a school for years...they should offer it for you to buy out of...but not all kids could nor would their parents even give them the money...you are just a good mom...and the fundraiser gives them a sense of pride..ownership to the activity...etc...ok..I guess I am feeling guilty for all the cheerleading fundraiser items I made the girls sell...and by the way..if Ian brings a fundraiser sheet home..I am going to call the school and complain:):)..just kidding

Shelly said...

It is ridiculous how they bribe the kids with ice cream and candy and crappy prizes to sell their crap! I would like to do the no-hassle fundraiser but i know Grayson would be really disappointed so I suck it up every year. :(

Holli said...

that is crazy!
though I wish I had won the gummy bears! YUM!!

corn fed girl said...

I hate fund raisers! Do I NOT pay enough in flip'n TAXES?! Seriously? Where is all my $$ going? Oh yeah...to the district....snorting it up their noses! Back in my day (yeah...I'm old enough to say that) we did fundraising for our 6th grade trip & in HS for band trips. And that $$ I kept. MY hard work...& I got the $$...not the dang school! Why do the schools feel it's ok to have my 6 year old hawk CRAP? WHYYYY?
Those gummy bears do look tasty....but behind that tasty treat lies EVIL...tasty, tasty EVILLLLLLLLLL.