Monday 6 October 2008

Farewell "Spooky Pooky"


Last week Sawyer came rushing into the house to report something "serious and important" (those were his exact words and his eyes were as big as saucers). He and Faith had been playing in our basement window well on the side of our house. It has a ladder and they were exploring. Anyways, they noticed a small brown, furry creature tucked into the space between the well area and the house. Faith told Sawyer to touch it with his shoe and when he did this creature hissed and showed its teeth. They immediately raced up the ladder and out of the window well (oh, how I wished I could have witnessed this-it makes me giggle just thinking about how they looked doing it). When they raced inside and reported what had happened, Faith thought it was a "hissing mouse". I was pretty sure that it was, as you have probably guessed .......... A BAT!!!!!!!!! YUCK, EWWWW!!!!!! I went down to the basement to look at it up close through the window and it looked small and furry (maybe 4-5 inches long) and was just wedged in the crack. For the last several days we have been checking on it and noticing that it is there during the day and gone at night. I have seen it just sitting in the middle of the window well on the rocks at night without its wings spread. Who knows how long it had been there??? Could have been weeks or even the last couple of months. Creeps me out just thinking about it. I thought it might go away on its own but enough was enough and I called animal control today and they came out and took it away. I don't wish it harm but I don't want it living at my house either. A couple of days ago the kids named it "Spooky Pooky". The guy from animal control was just arriving as I was leaving to take Sawyer out to get a haircut but my mom was here with the other kids and they watched him through the basement window force it out of the crack and into a coffee can-it was hissing and fighting and spread its wings, which my mom said were huge. It looked like a baby all huddled in there-but maybe not. I guess they will test it for rabies and then call me to let me know whether it has them or not. Fortunately, it didn't bite any of us but I guess that is just their procedure. Here is a picture I tried to take of it-YUCK!! Sawyer kept asking me the day he found it if this was "important news" and I assured him that it was.

9 comments:

Jeff, Tina, Ian, and Jade Saad said...

I would have just stabbed the thing..where was your husband during all of this...I figured Kyle would take any opportunity to rip his shirt off..exposed his muscles and pull an Ozzy...bite the head off right in front of the kids...tell me that wouldn't have been something to blog about...your story is good. Tell Sawyer I have some bat stories for him and some "old" bat stories for his mommy.

Amy said...

Tina is a violent little thing, isn't she?! ;o) It is a good thing that Spooky Pooky didn't get into your house -- yikes! Glad he is gone now. Miss you...

Shelly said...

WOW- Grayson would have loved to have seen Spooky Pooky! Give us a call if you ever have important news like that and we'll come over to inspect! :)

corn fed girl said...

That's so cool. Bats are great...when they are healthy & flying in the night sky, not so much in a window well!

Holli said...

yucky pooky!
MISS YOU! and I would pay money to have seen their faces when it hissed!

Mary said...

Eeeeewwwww!

Holli said...

tig you are it:)!

Kalista Hill said...

That is so creepy. Kara goy a bat webkinz,blood .

Lauren's Room Boutique said...

Wendi just told me about your blog. I think my boys would have just squished it. Don't forget about all your relitives in the west. We would love to see you guys again.