Monday 14 April 2008

I will miss the school uniforms




Some of you might be very surprised that I have even uttered the above "title". Yes, I will totally miss the school uniforms. Moving over here I thought I would miss the everyday fun of coordinating Faith's outfits for school (okay, dressing Sawyer isn't quite as fun) but thinking of going back to "normal" clothes this fall is making me a bit panicky. I now have a nine year old daughter who has become opinionated about her clothing. I took Faith shopping last weekend to pick out some summer clothing and I found that everything she likes, I don't like. I did my best to keep my mouth shut and let her get what she wants. It was hard. She has never cared what she has worn and was always so easy to dress. Eden is extremely opinionated and wants to wear a dress or skirt everywhere with only short sleeves. She loves headbands (even sleeps in them) and likes to wear them right where her hair and forehead meet-UGH!!! Oh, it is so hard for me. She also demands to be called "Sharpay" (from H.S. Musical). Sawyer will wear anything but loves his crocs and wears them year round. I am now wishing that in the U.S. all the schools would go to uniforms. It is soooo much cheaper and no morning arguments about clothing. At the village school last year they could have some variety. Faith could wear skirts, trousers or a pinafore (jumper) only in gray. She could have a variety of tops as long as they were the school colors of red, gray or white. Sawyer wore gray trousers or shorts and a variety of tops. Sawyer's uniforms were the least expensive. I could purchase two trousers for 8 pounds ($16) and three shirts for 6 pounds ($12). Everything was polyester so it could be washed and dried and no ironing. At their private school this year the uniforms are much stricter and way more expensive but still less expensive than what I would spend in a school year. There is only one uniform-no variations-so easy! Also, only black shoes. My kids have never in their lives gotten more use out of shoes. At private school this year they all have matching coats and can only have school issued or black, very plain school bags. The first photo is of Faith and Sawyer with our very good English friends, Jacob and Jessica, on their first day of school in England, Sept. 2006. The second is of the kids a month later on Eden's first day of pre-school. The last was just taken yesterday morning (yes, I realize the girls collars are a bit large and yes, Sawyer is wearing knickers (they are actually called "breeches" here and knickers are actually underwear). At private school this year, even Eden wears a uniform (she is my hardest to dress, so I am thankful!).

No comments: