Tuesday 30 March 2010

Teenagers

I love teenagers...yep, I said it! I do. My teenage years were great. I had great experiences and great friends. I think my parents handled my brothers and I close to perfect as teenagers. When I decided to get my degree in teaching/history it was a no-brainer that I would go the secondary over elementary route. My student teaching experience is actually one of the best experiences of my life. I know I say all this and my own kids will probably all be rebellious as teenagers and make my life miserable...I really hope not.

I have had the opportunity to teach teenagers for the last 4-5 years at church. I am now on my 3rd set of 15-16 year olds. I get a huge kick out of them. We are currently working on The Old Testament and I am always amazed at how much they know and how insightful they are. I attempt to "dumb down" the lesson a bit for, not them, but myself-lol! I get them for about 50 min. every Sunday and I come out learning something new every week. These last three groups are great kids. I can tell some are totally forced by their parents to be at church and some can barely keep their hands off their cell phones. I have had one that has a hard time staying awake and one that has even attempted to read novels during my class. Some are very socially mature while others are still pretty awkward. I have found that some have a hard time resisting peer pressure, while others aren't phased. I actually find all of this behavior very typical and I try my best to be sensitive to their age. They love to talk about their week and their experiences and I love to hear about it all. It is preparing me for when my own kids are teenagers. Mostly, the kids are all kind-hearted, friendly and respectful. Most have amazing, loving families which is most of the reason they seem so well-adjusted. I look forward to seeing where life takes them. In the meantime, I am praying for them to have the strength to make good choices. There is no doubt that it is scarey "out there."

6 comments:

The Queen Bee said...

Better watch out a post like this could land you in Young Women's!! Seriously though, I'm so grateful for people like you that love teaching teenagers, and also people who love teaching little kids...I'll stick with my adults any day!

Shelly said...

i didn't know you did this, Stacey! i've never heard you talk about them. i would be scared to teach teenagers but i know i would learn a lot. I help with Grayson's sunday school and learn something every time i'm there. it's much easier to understand the stories in the format for kids than in church! :)

Holli said...

such a good post!! love you and your attitude to children GREAT AND SMALL!!!
I love other teenagers but I fear my own.... hopefully they do not follow in mine or Andy's teenage footsteps!:)
LOVE YOU!

JH said...

Stacey: Mom was certainly perfect, but ole dad didn't come anywhere near as mom. But that is what makes mothers so wonderful and special. Only mothers have that bond with their kids. I've always said that parents can only do half of giving and their kids give back the other half. So give yourself and your bothers credit. Love ya, Dad

Maddie said...

I would love to have you as my Sunday school teacher! Haha we would be talking the whole class hour!

Mary said...

You're so nice -- I'm so glad that you're my girl's teacher. And your dad's comment (sniff, sniff)