Monday 8 March 2010

You should see the other guy...





Actually the "other guy" was the blacktop at school. The blacktop won. I got a call on Tues. from the school saying that Eden had had an accident on the playground. The school was very vague but said that I needed to come and pick her up. I was thinking to myself..."Why do I need to come and pick her up if she fell down on the playground?" They actually said she hurt her cheek. I asked if she needed stitches and they said "no." So, I went to get her. It was bad!!! She was bleeding from her mouth really bad and he nose was red and huge! Although by this point, she wasn't loudly crying but still very upset-crying and snubbing. They had her holding a sponge icepack with the super cheap, non-absorbent brown paper towels over it. I don't know why the school can't invest in some gauze pads or something. She had blood all over her shoes, coat and face. I asked Eden is she had fallen off the playground equipment (she couldn't speak). The nurse said she had fallen on the blacktop. I figured she must have been running but later learned that she had had her hands in her pockets and tripped over her BFF. To make a long story short, I had to take her to the ER and the dentist. Although her mouth bled for 2 hours straight, she didn't need stitches and her nose wasn't broke (kids noses are all cartilage). Her teeth were fine because, very fortunately, she is missing her two top teeth. The dentist said if those two teeth would have been in, it would have been bad. I think Eden was in shock and didn't speak for almost 2 hours after the incident. It was a lot to take in for a 6 year old. Although I wanted to cry...I was able to keep it in. Fortunately my mom was there that day and she was able to watch Bex during all of this. She stayed home from school the next day. She was very worried about how she looked and it hurt to eat. My mom and I took her shopping that day-it made us all feel better!!! :) I learned later that there was so much blood on the pavement that the janitor had to come out and clean it up. The only picture I have of her in the ER is on my cell phone but here are some others. I had to add this picture of her and our cat. Our cat doesn't care for anyone but her. She especially doesn't like to be held but somehow Eden can get away with holding her. Eden is doing much better now...almost fully healed. I take her to the dentist this afternoon for a follow-up. Oh the drama!!

7 comments:

corn fed girl said...

Holy fetch! Poor little thing. That is terrible. But seriously...she should be proud. "and there...you can still see the stain of blood still etched into the pavement. Here...is where I bit it.. Yeah, I'm cool. There was so much blood, kids were slipping on it." Said to the sounds of "oooo, aaahhhhs"

Mary said...

Oh -- that is so sad (and you were so descriptive, I'm feeling a little sick now, thanks). Hope she feels better soon and tell her Ibby says she hopes she feels better soon.

Shelly said...

OUCH!! that's awful. Her poor little nose looks like she was punched in the face.. so glad she is feeling better and no stitches. that would be a nightmare!!

Holli said...

OH MY GOODNESS!!!
So glad she is ok!
Praying she doesn't meet the pavement again!

Jeff, Tina, Ian, and Jade Saad said...

That is enought to push me over the edge....poor baby!!!

Amy said...

Oh my goodness! NOW I am caught up on your blog entries. Poor little thing. It looks terribly painful. Hope she is doing much better now...

Kellybee said...

Wow...I am glad that she is okay...but man! That looks painful!