Wednesday 12 March 2008

The NHS Love'em or hate'em??


While living in the U.K. I have become sometimes painfully aware of living with the National Healthcare System. I took Beckett in yesterday for his 8 week immunizations. In the U.S. they would weigh him and all sorts of other stuff but not here. The G.P. (general practitioner-not sure if they are real doctors or not) just looked him over and sent me off the the nurse for the injections. She gave him his shots-one in each thigh and didn't even use band-aids to cover them. He got blood on his clothes. Can they not even spring for band-aids (called "plasters" here)???? When I gave birth to Beckett I arrived at the hospital at 9 am and was out of there by 6:30 pm. They supply very little for mother and baby. I had to bring diapers and everything necessary for myself including the fish net underwear. They truly had a vending machine with diapers, sanitary napkins, formula and diapers-the kind of vending machine you would see with sandwiches that revolves in a circle when you push the button. I'll save my birth story for another day. Although I have never had to experience this while over here, if you need any sort of surgery you are put on a waiting list. Dentistry is a whole other story which explains why people have crazy teeth over here.


On the other hand, sometimes you don't need all the song and dance that you are given in the states. Last fall Sawyer had an ear infection. We enter in the room to see the G.P. He asks what the problem is, types it in on his computer, looks in Sawyer's ear, confirms the ear infection, prescribes an antibiotic and you are on your way. The dispensary (pharmacy) is located at the office and in five minutes you are out the door. They didn't weigh him, listen to his heart-nothing but look in his ears.


Oh yeah, I can't forget to include that they don't circumcise infants over here. Poor uncircumcised Beckett. We even tried to get him into a private hospital here for a circumcision and they won't consider it until he is 2 years old. What is up with that?? They think circumcision is cruel and unnecessary.


I think Hillary and Barrack should come live in England before promising socialized medicine. They should try it out for a couple of years.

7 comments:

Holli said...

You've been tagged! Rules of play:Post 10 random things about yourself Choose 5 people to tag and a reason you chose each person (can be totally nonsensical)Leave them each a comment directing them to your blog so they know they are it .You can't tag the person who tagged you (you'll have to make new friends)As a courtesy to the person who tagged you, please let them know when you have posted so they can have the sheer delight and extra work load of reading your answers Play!!
Sorry!

Becki Kupferschmid said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Becki Kupferschmid said...

This is why I do not have a blog!!! I would not want to be it.
Just kidding Holli. Look at you go Stacey! You are a well oiled blogging machine. I'm just saying this because I wouldn't have anything to write about even if I had a blog.

Cathren12 (mom) said...

I am glad you added your blog address to your email... I love your new blog. I am like you, I love to read everyone's blog & then get comments on mine. It is a great way to keep in touch with everyone. Plus, I so agree with you - the 2 demi's should have to come live with the NHS care; they might think twice about being so hard pushed for it (free healthcare my behind... UK costs twice as much (& more in some instances) to live her, plus more than 50% payroll taxes just for the UK,blah, blah, blah) :-)))

Corrina Dea said...

Love your NHS story...every time I talk to someone back home I share the stories and my blood boils when I watch FOX news and how much they demi's want socialized health care. Sure there are some perks but I love my personal specialize physicians...eventhouh we pay a lot for insurance and some procedures...we probably don't pay as much as UK residents do in taxes for mediocre care.

Keep blogging!!!

Carrie said...

Stacey -
I too love to read blogs!!! Yours looks great and I was thrilled to see your kids grown up!!! Great to hear that you are moving back. I am so excited that your family will be back at Prairieland! Holli forgets how interesting central IL can be! =) Plus her family misses them tremendously.

See you soon - take care - and enjoy your clothes (you'll love them I promise!)

PS - Can't imagine have a baby under those circumstances!

Carrie Kieser

Jeff, Tina, Ian, and Jade Saad said...

You are really showing off with this blog...I will know more about you now than ever!!! I must say it interesting to read about different lives and what goes on in them...kind of like the Christmas letter, but a lot more honest...life isn't always grand, but it is good!! Thanks for finally doing this...we will be able to know what is going on in the states from your blog...