Saturday 29 March 2008

It's Official

Well, it's official. We will be returning to Illinois by June 1st. They sent out a formal announcement at CAT on Friday. I have been waiting almost 2 years for this. There are so many things I am excited about getting back to-more than I can name. But....I will miss the friends I have made here so much. I hate good-byes. I believe these women have come into my life for many reasons and I have definately grown as a wife, mother and friend since meeting them. I have made a list of things I will miss and won't miss that I want to share. Some might be bored with all of this but I am planning on having my blog made into a journal/scrapbook eventually so stay with me. Moving over here was VERY hard for me. Some thought I was crazy to not want this adventure for a couple of years but I am just a small town girl who never even really thought about having a passport or flying over the ocean. I was very content where I was. However, we thought it would be a wonderful opportunity for the kids and ourselves, as well as for family and friends who would come and visit. I remember when arriving for our househunting visit and I just couldn't believe how different everything was. I was terrified the first time we went to the grocery store-I didn't recognize any of the brands and couldn't believe the eggs weren't refridgerated. How was I going to fit all the food we needed into my tiny fridge? I never thought I would be able to drive. Now, almost 2 years later I have pretty much adjusted to the way of life in a foreign country. I have my favorite brands of food and Tesco (like Wal-Mart) is like my second home. I know this is sad, but I spent many nights crying just wanting to go back home. What am I-a child???? I feel I haven't made the most of my time here-I have spent more time just wanting to go back home. Shame on me. On the bright side, we have had some wonderful experiences here and I have seen things in Europe, I never thought I would ever see and CAT has given us this opportunity. I am very greatful for my expanded view of the world. It has opened my mind to all that is out there and I think "Wow-what else is there"? Since becoming pregant and having Beckett, our travels have way cut down. We haven't seen everything we had planned to but to be able to say I have been to London, Paris, Rome, Tuscany and Venice is more than I ever thought possible. I am thankful. Here are my lists. For those of you that LOVE it here (this would be you, Holli,) don't be offended.







Things I will miss

-friends

-produce

-Hovis Invisible Crust Bread

-kids freedom to play outside unattended

-cheap flights around Europe

-LONDON!

-kids accents when they go away

-H&M

-Next

-"Cheers"

-school uniforms

-not having a house payment

-my hairdresser

-x-tra curricular activities done at school

-mail dropped through my front door

-grocery delivery

-tiny post office with no lines

-charity pick -up at my house

-my babysitter, Chloe

Things I won't miss

-roundabouts

-narrow roads and parking spaces (I have damaged three vehicles while living here)

-just driving altogether

-bicyclists

-bending over to get into my fridge

-lack of garbage disposal

-lack of water pressure

-teeny, tiny washing machine and dryer

-dryer in garage

-our motor home sized shower

-house

-food

-lack of pay at the pump

-NHS

-all the coins in my wallet

I am sure I am forgetting things for both lists but this is all I could come up with for now.




Some of my serious lows have been the crying and the damaging of three vehicles. Sawyer's first year of school was also tough (led to much of the crying).





Highlights have been: the birth of Beckett, Paris (twice), Rome, Tuscany, Venice, London and the shows (Footloose, Guys and Dolls, Wicked (two times), Lion King, Stomp, Chicago, Mama Mia and Hairspray. Also, all of our visitors!!!!!





Note self-I ended up coming with more misses and highlights than things I will miss and lows.





I put together a picture montage to share but I can't quite figure out how to get it to my blog (my computer illiteracy is showing). I will hopefully be able to get it on when Kyle can help me this weekend.

7 comments:

Normal Mom said...

I am just sad I didn't get it together to come see you! But I think it's wonderful that you got out and saw the world. I think your children will be stronger and better for the experiences as well.
BUT, I am WAY excited to have you guys back--and still close to me!

hankshouse said...

We are VERY excited to have your family back home! Can't wait to meet Beckett and get the girls together. Emma is looking forward to quite a bit of Faith-time this summer. We are counting down the days!!!

The Shoes said...

I can't believe it is happening so soon! I will just be getting back to England and you will be leaving. Congratulations to you and Kyle on the move. We will miss you terribly and I will miss my "carpooling" buddy to girls night out! I am impressed that you came up with so many highlights! You really did come around! See you in a couple weeks!

Holli said...

I guess you decided not to have your basement finished for free....:)
You will be so missed! I love you and will never forget all the time together! Someday we will live by each other again and instead of the yummy pubs we will have to meet at like Chilli's or TGIF- BORING!
LOVE YOU! Will be praying for you and the fam!

Becki Kupferschmid said...

Stacey,

I have felt your pain. I will also not miss the motor home size showers. I can't believe that you are leaving this soon. Who else can I complain too? Everyone else loves it here. Good luck with the house. kent and I will be back in August and we'll have to go out to dinner. I wonder if I will like your replacement as much?

God Bless and Prayers,
Becki

Cathren12 (mom) said...

I am SO happy for you. We have shared some tears together at times (because I like you am less than excited to live in the UK). Thank you for listening to me vent & sharing in the pain with me. I will miss you greatly!!! I am so jealous that you will actually get a summer :-) enjoy the good ole USA for me!

Jeff, Tina, Ian, and Jade Saad said...

Since we will only be living about 20 to 25 minutes apart in the US...actually closer than here...I guess you can go back!! I must say that I really do like you..I hate when this happen...I thought I had all the friends I needed and I meet a group of new friends...I guess you can never have enough!! I will always remember Eden has Ian's first love...we will remind them of that someday. Keeping in touch is not an option...I will now have a reason to come to Bloomington...thanks...love you tons...