Tuesday 21 July 2009

Circumcision...BEWARE...this could get graphic!

So most of you know that Beckett isn't circumcised (I am sure he will appreciate this post when he is older). They don't do this procedure in England (for some really weird reason). As soon as I found out I was having a boy I was like "oh crap" knowing he wouldn't be circumcised. After he was born we looked into having a private dr. in England perform the procedure but they said they wouldn't even consider it until he was two years old. We moved back to the U.S. when he was 4 months old and by this time I was way too attached to Bex to let anyone put him under anesthesia and cut at his privates. My pediatrician here was very supportive and assured me that more and more parents were taking the non-circumcision route and that pediatricians are now supportive of either decision. So, pretty much we decided to not have it done. We figured that he would probably be made fun of in jr. high but that he would already be made fun of for being Mormon so why not add one more thing-builds character-right?? Well, a few months ago at a well visit my ped. was checking him out and noticed that his foreskin was adhered. This isn't good because it balloons up and forces some of the urine back to the bladder. I tried some topical stuff but it only worked very temporarily. At my peds. recommendation I made Bex an appt. with a Ped. Urologist. We just saw him today and he said at a minimum it needed to be dilated, which requires him to go under anesthesia...so, if he is going to go under anesthesia then we are having him circumcised. This won't happen until Sept. so I have time to brace myself. I know it seems silly but he is my baby and I just don't want to think about him undergoing ANY sort of procedure-I don't even want him to skin his knee. The dr. assured me that his recovery would be VERY EASY and that the chances of him dying under anesthesia would be the same as being struck by lightening. I have a huge fear of anesthesia because I have never been put under. I went through the same thing when Sawyer had his club foot surgery at 3months old. I know I will be happy we did it after it is all over. So, to all you outspoken (Holli K.) people who are pro-circumcision it is going to get done.

10 comments:

Kellybee said...

I'm so sorry Stacey! It IS scary when your child has to be put under. You wouldn't be a normal mom if you didn't feel anxious about it! I hope all goes well for Beckett! He sure is a cutie!

The Queen Bee said...

Feel lucky they are putting him under. My brother was done at this age too and they did not put him under. I was 7 and I remember hearing the screaming from the waiting room. Good luck with it all.

AndieF said...

Oh Poor Bex and Poor You! At least with him, though, he won't remember it. Everything will be fine though.

Wendi said...

Poor little guy! I am sure it will be fine, but I can understand your concern. We'll be thinking positive thoughts for you guys!

Holli said...

Honestly I feel so bad for you all. But he WILL thank you and his wife will to! - unless he marries a foreigner. :)
I think the Mormon jokes would stop as soon as they would out about the extra skin!:)

Jeff, Tina, Ian, and Jade Saad said...

I am so happy to hear this...after being a teacher in 8th grade...I know every kid that had "his sausage wrapped" as they say...I don't know any that are Mormon..he will be just fine...but I understand...it is scary...his wife will be so happy and if he goes into a nursing home someday they won't fight over who is going to wash his weiner..trust me this happens...

Shelly said...

well these comments are not making me feel good about Grayson... they didn't do it in Russia either so I thought he and bex would have a bond. :( at least he has a 9 yr old cousin that's "like him."

Marti said...

Sorry for the change of plans for you guys. I have to admit it isn't easy to send your child away for surgery like we did with Nate at 6 mo for his circ or Anna two months ago when she had her tonsils out. He'll be fine though. Keep us updated about when it happens and we will be praying for you all.

Amy said...

Oh my, the poor litle man. I'm sure he will thank you when he gets older. Keep us posted on how it goes...

Corrina Dea said...

I know you are really afraid of the anesthesia but they say that is the most human way for your little one to have to go through this type of procedure. Harrison was a trooper when he went through it and the hospital staff was great at OSF for us. Biggest thing to do is make sure it doesn't start adhearing again as it heals...let me know if you have any questions about it all...been there...done that!!!!